Bad luck for Buck

April 16, 2010 - As I watch the kids playing at the local playground on a Friday after dinner, I see Buck his pedal tractor flip over and hear him cry. I comfort him, give him a kiss, and tell him to stop crying. Well, not this time, because he falls down as I try to put him back on his legs. And while I carry him home, I see a big broose appearing on his right leg. Your gutfeeling tells you - there is something wrong.

Off we go to the emergency services 20 minutes from here. 3 hours, a couple of x-rays and a temporary cast later, we're back home. It's the middle of the night and Buck cries continously. Ramona and I take turns during the night trying to comfort and help him whenever he's in pain. This continous until Saturday afternoon when he finally falls asleep from exhaustion.

During the rest of the Saturday, we give him his pain medication, but it makes him throw up. Just what we needed. With all our strength, we convince Buck that it really is necessary to take his medication. The result is that he doesn't eat and just lays on the couch and stares at the ceiling.

Saturday night is better, Buck has slept pretty much all of the night and quickly learns his limitations. Taking medication is still a crime although we have found alternative pain killers. Monday we can go to the hospital for an additional exam and if all goes well, to get a full cast. After this he can't walk on it for 10 days and his leg will have a cast for at least 6 weaks.

Is a broken leg anything unusual? No, not really, people break bones on a daily basis. But to see a loved one that you care so much about be in some much pain, man, I'll never get used to that.