Found a job

February 9, 2010 - After 2 interviews and a final consult, it was done. As from the beginning of February I am hired as a Sales Consultant (car salesman) at the local Ford dealer in Brandon. I got in touch with this employer through an employment agent, who was in touch with the owner of the dealership. A typical word-of-mouth job so to speak, which hadn't been posted in the newspapers job listings.

I will spare everyone all the details of finding a job, but 1 thing is for sure: it's more who you know, then what you know. This is something I hadn't counted on when we were still in The Netherlands, but that you obviously catch on to very quickly. Add to that the fact that only 15% of all jobs are actually listed and you're confronted with the fact, that it's not that easy to find a job if you don't know very many people (note: this is my experience in finding a commercial job, finding jobs in other sectors could be different).

The contradiction was: finding "general” employment is not that difficult. You can start in a store, at the gasstation or in a warehouse right away. But, you'll be laid off just as easy and as head of a family, you're looking for a bit more sustainability.

So, as from today I earn a living selling cars: new Ford's or used from any brand. Now, don't think piece of cake, because selling cars is taken very seriously here. So at the end of February I'm off to a workshop, I have received tons of information about selling skills and proper behaviour and I have to obtain my Sales Permit. After that I'll be responsible for my own clientele. The dealership clearly invests in its employees and that's a good sign.

I feel at home, learn new things every day and happened to be fond of cars. Add the positive work environment, my own office and business cards and the substantial employee benefits, and it might just turn out to be a truly successful job in the future.

Welcome to Kelleher Ford!